This Whipped Hot Chocolate is a modern twist on a holiday classic!
It’s an easy and delicious recipe that comes together in just minutes and is super fun to make with the kids. In fact, it can be likened to the kid-friendly version of the popular dalgona coffee.
I also love the fact that this whipped hot chocolate mix can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to a few days which means that you can make a double batch, ready for you to whip up this indulgent drink wherever the craving hits!
As part of the fun experience, I get my little helpers to garnish these scrumptious drinks with mini marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles or anything else we can find in the pantry!
TIPS FOR MAKING WHIPPED HOT CHOCOLATE
- Serve this hot chocolate with a biscotti or some of your favorite cookies.
- I’ve used heavy cream in this recipe but you could also use whipping cream. Heavy cream does contain a slightly higher fat content than whipping cream though, allowing it to hold up better against the warm milk for longer while you’ll find that the whipping cream will melt faster. If you do use whipping cream – don’t use the canned variety as this will not whisk well with the other ingredients and will deflate quickly.
- Be careful not to over whip your chocolate cream mixture otherwise you could end up with thick, solid cream instead.
How to Make Whipped Hot Chocolate
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the hot chocolate mix and heavy cream until stiff and creamy.
- Heat milk in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe container.
- Pour warm milk into two glass. Top each glass evenly with whipped chocolate. Garnish as desired
HOW IS WHIPPED HOT CHOCOLATE DIFFERENT TO NORMAL HOT CHOCOLATE?
- This whipped hot chocolate is basically the reverse of a normal hot chocolate drink in how you make it and serve it. While most hot chocolates are made with a warm hot chocolate base and then topped with vanilla whipped cream, this recipe starts with warm milk followed by the adding the whipped hot chocolate cream topping! Cool, right?!
HOW DO I DRINK THIS? DO I USE A SPOON?
- Don’t be embarrassed if this is a question you have…it’s actually quite a common one! Simply stir your chocolate cream mixture into the warm milk base with a spoon and enjoy….It’s as easy as that!
CAN I MAKE THIS WHIPPED HOT CHOCOLATE AN ICED DRINK INSTEAD?
- Absolutely! Just skip warming your milk. Fill your glass with halfway with ice cubes and pour in the milk base. Then scoop your whipped hot chocolate mix over it and garnish as you like.
Other Hot Chocolate Delights
- 2 tablespoons dry hot chocolate mix
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups milk white or chocolate
In a medium bowl, whisk together the hot chocolate mix and heavy cream until stiff and creamy
Heat milk in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe container
Pour warm milk into two glass. Top each glass evenly with whipped chocolate. Garnish as desired
Garnish as desired
Mini Chocolate Chips