Who said pumpkin was only for sweet indulgent treats and desserts?! Today, I’m going to show you how you can use this fall-inspired ingredient to make an extremely nutritious Immune Boosting Pumpkin Pie Smoothie!
This healthy smoothie offers a delicious and wholesome way to start your day while building the immune system! Enjoy it for breakfast, as a nutritious snack, or meal replacement any time of the day.
This smoothie recipe is a great way to use up any leftover pumpkin puree you may have from baking all those pumpkin treats. And if you’re sticking with your health goals then this Immune Boosting Pumpkin Pie Smoothie is a great way to still enjoy the pumpkin pie flavors of the season!
- If you want to add sweetness to this smoothie but don’t want to use honey or maple syrup, consider blending some dates. They will add a natural caramel sweetness to the smoothie!
- The nut butter does a great job of making this smoothie feel like a meal in itself but if you want to make your smoothie even more filling then consider adding in some hemp hearts (about 1-2 tablespoons).
- If you have any leftovers of this smoothie mixture, pour it into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for 1 day at most. The texture may be somewhat runny so you could mix it with some additional yogurt before serving if you like.
How to Make Immune Boosting Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until incorporated. Add a handful of ice for a cooler and thicker smoothie. Pour into glasses and enjoy.
IMMUNE BOOSTING PUMPKIN PIE SMOOTHIE HEALTH BENEFITS
There’s a reason this delicious pumpkin pie smoothie is referred to as being ‘immune boosting’! Take a look at all the health benefits you’ll get from adding this smoothie to your diet:
Pumpkin is a natural source of vitamins C and E, iron, and folate. All of these vitamins and minerals strengthen the immune system and are absorbed efficiently by the body in this natural state.
Cinnamon is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation can cause the onset of various diseases and general poor health as well as weight gain so including this spice in your drinks and food is a must!
Greek yogurt contains a high level of probiotics which in turn helps to improve and maintain gut health which consequently boosts the immune system.
Bananas contain prebiotics (compounds that promote the growth of good microorganisms in the intestines) as well as a high level of vitamin B6 which help to regulate immune responses through the production of white blood cells and T cells.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS PUMPKIN PIE SMOOTHIE VEGAN?
- For a vegan-friendly pumpkin pie smoothie, use a plant-based milk such as almond or coconut milk, opt for maple syrup or dates as a sweetener, and substitute coconut yogurt for the Greek yogurt. It’s as simple as that!
Other Yummy Treats
This Immune Boosting Pumpkin Pie Smoothie is a great way to still enjoy the pumpkin pie flavors of the season!
- 1 large banana
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- ½ cup unsweetened greek yogurt
- 1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter sub with your favorite nut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: maple syrup or honey to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until incorporated. Add a handful of ice for a cooler and thicker smoothie. Pour into glasses and enjoy.