This homemade cranberry sauce will make you ditch the canned version in no time!
Not only is this sauce incredibly simple to make with only a few ingredients but it’s also incredibly tasty and a must-have addition to complete your holiday main meals.
Perfectly sweetened with lightly tart cranberry and orange flavors that can also easily be adapted and enhanced by adding cinnamon, nutmeg and even some chopped pecans!
You’ll also be able to prepare this sauce well in advance by freezing it, freeing you up to kick back and relax with the family while enjoying the “fruits” or your holiday preparations!
Other Delicious Cranberry-Inspired Recipes
- Pull Apart Cranberry Brie Bread Bowl
- Zesty Cranberry Crockpot Meatballs
- Sausage Stuffing Bites with Cranberry Dipping Sauce
CAN THIS HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
- Yes, it can. You can make it about 2-3 days ahead of serving by storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
CAN I FREEZE CRANBERRY SAUCE?
- Yes, you can freeze cranberry sauce which is great news for preparing for the busy holidays! Simply freeze it in an airtight container, allowing about a ½ inch gap on the top for possible expansion and store for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and rewarm if you wish.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH CRANBERRY SAUCE?
- There are so many options, some of which include:
- Spreading over toast, pancakes, biscuits or bagel
- Drizzling this sauce over ice cream
- Adding to a turkey sandwich or sliders
- Using it as a dip for turkey bites or chicken nuggets
- Adding as a topping to homemade cheesecake
- Including in your turkey or chicken side salads
- Adding it to your cheese and cracker boards for the appetizer table
WHAT KIND OF VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS CRANBERRY SAUCE
- To save you time this holiday, I’ve made this recipe super simple while still being very delicious. If you want to make some variations to the recipe then feel free to use some of my suggestions here.
- Simmer the mixture with a cinnamon stick and/or add a few pinches of ground nutmeg and cloves, Substitute the water with an unsweetened cranberry juice or a cranberry juice blend, Add 1/2 tsp vanilla to the mix, or mix in some chopped pecans after cooling.
TIPS FOR HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE
- When simmering for desired consistency in step 3 above, you can make use of a potato masher to help gently mash the cranberries slightly while the mixture is still warm.
- Add more sugar for additional sweetness (optional).
How to Make Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, white and brown sugars, cinnamon and salt.
- Cover with orange juice and water, stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to slight boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency ** see notes.
- Spoon mixture into a serving bowl or airtight container to store until ready to serve. Let cool completely before serving.
This Homemade Cranberry Sauce is incredibly simple to make with only a few ingredients and is a must-have addition for your holiday meals.
- 4 cups 12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup water
In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, white and brown sugars, cinnamon and salt.
Cover with orange juice and water, stir to combine.
Bring mixture to slight boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency ** see notes.
Spoon mixture into a serving bowl or airtight container to store until ready to serve.
Let cool completely before serving
Consistency - you can use a potato masher to gently mash the cranberries slightly while the sauce is still warm
Make Ahead - Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator 2-3 days before serving
Taste - you can add in more sugar if you want it to be more sweet