Hobo Dinner Foil Packets offer a fun and alternative method of cooking your vegetables and meat. Simply place your fresh veggies together with ground beef and seasoning in a square of aluminum foil, wrap it up and cook it over the grill!
It’s as simple as that and results in tender vegetables with flavorful juicy meat, topped with melted cheese.
Make your foil packets as big or as small as you like depending on how hungry each person is. A fun idea is to get the kids involved in making their own Hobo Dinner Foil Packets, varying the ingredients as desired!
Cook these foil packets at your next summer BBQ, in the oven at home, or use them as convenient, no-mess camping meals.
- Double the square of foil if you intend to make larger food portions. You’ll just need to keep in mind that the cooking times will vary if you make larger or smaller foil packets than what’s listed for my Hobo Dinner Foil Packets recipe.
- Spraying the foil with cooking spray helps prevent the fresh vegetables from sticking to the sides of the packet while cooking.
- Place the ingredients in the center of the foil, wrapping the edges tightly together so that no food falls out.
- You could flip the packets if you want as a way to prevent the ingredients inside the foil packet from burning although I’ve found that merely turning and shaking the packets does the trick. If you do flip the packets, just be aware that your meal may come out a little less pretty.
- I prefer to use heavy duty aluminum foil when making these Hobo Dinner Foil Packets to prevent any tearing or breaking of the foil. You could also double the aluminum foil if you wish.
How to Make Hobo Dinner Foil Packets
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, mayo, Worcestershire sauce and minced onions and well combined.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Clean and cut potatoes, carrots and onion and add to large bowl.
- Drizzle with half of the oil and sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning, stir. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle remaining seasoning, stir until well combined.
- Divide vegetables into 6 packets and place hamburger patty on top of vegetables.
- Fold foil over and seal packet .Heat grill to medium heat or 325 degrees F.
- Place packets on grill and cook for 20-25 minutes turning and slightly shaking packet often to prevent burning.
- Remove when vegetables are tender and hamburger is 150 degrees F for medium well done.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in refrigerator
WHAT ARE FOIL PACKETS?
- Foil packets aren’t actually anything new. In fact, they’ve been around for quite some time and as the years have gone on, numerous variations have emerged that can be enjoyed as hearty and fun meals.
- Essentially, a foil packet is a square of aluminum foil that’s filled with veggies and meat, wrapped and cooked together on the grill, in the oven, or over a hot fire. It’s a super fun way to feed the family and is a great meal when camping or outdoor grilling, even though you could also opt to make these in your oven at home.
- Kids LOVE to help put these foil packets together. Even better is the fact that the foil acts as a dispensable food plate!
CAN I MAKE FOIL PACKETS AHEAD OF TIME?
- Absolutely! You can make these the day or night before and store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook. Get the kids to help you make their own foil packets!
Other Must-Make Summer Dishes
Cook these Hobo Dinner Foil Packets at your next summer BBQ, in the oven at home, or use them as convenient, no-mess camping meals.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 pound baby potatoes or small potatoes cut in half
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 small white or yellow onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning divided, homemade or store bought
- 8 ounces colby jack cheese grated
- Fresh parsley for garnish optional
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, mayo, Worcestershire sauce and minced onions and well combined
Form into 6 patties
Clean and cut potatoes, carrots and onion and add to large bowl
Drizzle with half of the oil and sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning, stir
Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle remaining seasoning, stir
Divide vegetables into 6 packets and place hamburger patty on top of vegetables
Fold foil over and seal packet
Heat grill to medium heat or 325 degrees F
Place packets on grill and cook for 20-25 minutes turning and slightly shaking packet often to prevent burning
Remove when vegetables are tender and hamburger is 150 degrees F for medium well done
Store leftovers in refrigerator