Lately, I keep running into a new nutrition slogan: “Eat the rainbow.” The idea is that eating foods in lots of different colors every day is an easy way to make sure you get lots of different nutrients.
So of course, I took this as a challenge. Could I put all the colors of the rainbow in one bowl?
As it turns out, with all the delicious summer produce out there right now, this is pretty easy. I started with some nice red tomatoes, an orange bell pepper, a can of yellow corn, and some green onions (plus a little cilantro for extra green). Blue posed a little bit of a problem, but I decided a can of black beans would be close enough. And to finish out the rainbow, I grabbed a red onion, which is really closer to purple.
Now, what would be the perfect thing to make with all these colors? Salsa, of course! I just chopped all the veggies, mixed in the canned stuff, and seasoned it with lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt.
The result: a rainbow in a bowl that tastes as good as it looks. Served with some tortilla chips, it makes a perfect appetizer for a potluck, a picnic, or any summer gathering. A delicious rainbow of summer flavors.
Summer Black Bean Salsa
6 Roma Tomatoes
1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Can Corn, drained
4 Green Onions
½ cup Red Onion, chopped
1/3 cup Cilantro
1 Orange Bell Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1. Chop the green onions, pepper, onions, and cilantro and put into a medium bowl.
2. Add the beans, corn, and spices and gently mix well. Add the juice of the 1-2 limes and mix well.
3. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve with tortilla chips.
NEVER MISS A ROCKSTAR MOMMY POST! SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVED
THE 10 TRAITS OF A ROCKSTAR MOMMY FOR FREE!
Summer Black Bean Salsa
- 6 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Can Black Beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 Can Corn , drained
- 4 Green Onions
- ½ cup Red Onion , chopped
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- 1-2 Limes
- 1 tsp . Salt
- 1 tsp . Cumin
- 1 tsp . Garlic Powder
- Chop the green onions, pepper, onions, and cilantro and put into a medium bowl.
- Add the beans, corn, and spices and gently mix well. Add the juice of the 1-2 limes and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve with tortilla chips.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
The Rockstar Mommy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.