If you’re looking for a fresh and spicy salsa that doesn’t require any cooking time then look no further than this Fresh Pico de Gallo recipe!
It’s packed with sweet and juicy seasonal tomatoes, fresh cilantro, onion and finely diced jalapeno peppers that take this salsa up one fiery notch!
Don’t let the chill time put you off from trying this salsa. There’s really nothing simpler than cutting up the fresh ingredients, giving them a good toss and then chilling them while you get on with other daily activities.
In just 2 hours you’ll have a flavor-packed Fresh Pico de Gallo that can be enjoyed as a tasty dip, spooned into your tacos or incorporated into any other favorite Mexican dishes!
- I don’t suggest that you store this Pico de Gallo in the freezer. While it is possible to do so, the freezing will cause the liquid in the chunky tomatoes to expand and then become quite soggy once thawed.
- The jalapeno peppers added to this recipe offer a lovely kick of heat. If you’d prefer something more mild, then you can simply omit the jalapeno.
- The great thing about Pico de Gallo is that it’s extremely adaptable. You can add in more tomatoes for a sweeter tasting salsa or increase the amount of jalapenos for a much spicier version.
- I always recommend wearing latex gloves when cutting and deseeding jalapenos to prevent any burning on your skin.
How to Make Fresh Pico de Gallo
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Cover and keep refrigerated for at least two hours prior to serving.
- Serve within 24 hours for best results.
IS PICO DE GALLO THE SAME AS SALSA?
- In a nutshell, yes! In actual fact it’s a type of salsa that is identifiable by its chunky fresh ingredients that are uncooked as opposed to many other salsas that have a thinner consistency with more liquid.
HOW LONG WILL FRESH PICO DE GALLO LAST?
- Freshly made Pico de Gallo will last for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can just as easily make this ahead of time and store it in its serving bowl in the refrigerator with plastic wrap covering the serving bowl.
WHICH RECIPES CAN I USE THIS PICO DE GALLO IN?
Add your freshly made Pico de Gallo to a number of different Mexican-inspired recipes and dishes. Here are some great ideas to get you started:
- Use freshly made Pico de Gallo as a delicious appetizer dip with a helping of tortilla chips and cream cheese;
- Add it to a simple guacamole recipe as another dip idea or use it as an additional layer in these Mexican Bean Dip Cups;
- Add it to your tacos, burritos and quesadillas;
- Serve a spoonful of this salsa over a baked potato or a hamburger;
- Include it in a casserole dish like this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole or Breakfast Enchilada Overnight Bake;
- You can even add Pico de Gallo to rice, quinoa, grilled veggies or scrambled eggs!
If you’re looking for a fresh salsa that doesn’t require any cooking time then look no further than this Fresh Pico de Gallo recipe!
- 1 pound tomatoes diced
- ¼ to ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely diced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
Cover and keep refrigerated for at least two hours prior to serving.
Serve within 24 hours for best results.