The classic lasagna dish just got a facelift with this Crockpot Lasagna Soup recipe! It’s also a great way to use up any of those pesky broken lasagna noodle pieces that you’d ordinarily discard – no waste-age here, people!
This Lasagna soup is a hearty meal that gets its rich flavors from the ground beef and Italian sausage, mixed with tomatoes and Italian seasoning and then left to cook and stew for 6-7 hours while you get to carry on with your day. Serve it with a generous helping of shredded cheese and fresh herbs for an irresistible bowl of soup.
Make it ahead of time and easily double the batch (depending on the size of your crockpot). Perfect for chilly nights when you need a break from cooking – even those who are not normally soup-lovers are going to lick their bowls clean!
TIPS FOR MAKING CROCKPOT LASAGNA SOUP
- I use Italian sausage and ground beef in this soup because of the added flavor it provides through its natural fat content but you can also make this recipe with ground turkey or chicken depending on your preference.
- Use spicy Italian sausage and some Rotel chili tomatoes if you want a slight kick of heat to your soup.
- You can use white or whole grain lasagna noodles for this recipe. If you use whole grain, just note that they tend to absorb more liquid and take longer to cook than white.
- To make this dish gluten free, you can use gluten free lasagna noodles or other gluten free pasta but I would recommend cooking these separately from the rest of the crockpot ingredients and stir them into the soup mixture just prior to serving.
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil, and cook ground beef and Italian sausage until half way done, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and onion and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through, drain grease.
- Put mixture into crockpot and add in tomatoes, beef broth, vegetable juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Add in pasta and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until pasta is tender, season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, top with cheese, parsley or basil and enjoy.
CAN I FREEZE CROCKPOT LASAGNA SOUP?
- Here’s the thing…. Whenever a dish incorporates pasta, I either skip the freezing option for storage or I assemble the other freezer-friendly ingredients and then cook the pasta on the day that I’ll be serving the meal.
- I do this because pasta can really soften and deteriorate in texture if it’s been frozen and then thawed out, particularly in a soup-like dish where there’s plenty of liquid to soften it further.
- To freeze soup, simply follow steps 1-4 of the recipe directions above and then allow to cool before placing your ground beef lasagna mix in a freezer-safe bag that you can store for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy your fully assembled Crockpot Lasagna Soup, defrost your frozen beef mix overnight in the refrigerator, add it to the crockpot together with your lasagna pasta and continue with steps 5-7.
HOW LONG WILL CROCKPOT LASAGNA SOUP LAST?
- Once completely cooled, you can store this Crockpot Lasagna Soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if placed in an airtight container.
- To reheat, simply heat your serving of soup on the stovetop on a medium-low heat till heated throughout.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH CROCKPOT LASAGNA SOUP?
- Like most soups, this Crockpot Lasagna Soup is great with some homemade dinner rolls, biscuits or a helping of your favorite leafy green salad.
More Hearty Soups You’ll Love
This Crockpot Lasagna Soup is perfect for chilly nights when you need a break from cooking. Let the slow cooker do all the work for you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound ground beef lean
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 box 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6-8 dry lasagna noodles broken into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Shredded parmesan
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil, and cook ground beef and Italian sausage until half way done, about 3-4 minutes
Add in garlic and onion and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through, drain grease
Put mixture into crockpot and add in tomatoes, beef broth, vegetable juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
Add in pasta and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until pasta is tender, season with extra salt and pepper if needed
To serve, top with cheese, parsley or basil and enjoy.