This cheesy and creamy Chicken Divan is a classic American dish first gaining real popularity in households since the 1960s and for good reason. It’s a simple and tasty meal with protein and vegetables all in a single dish, making it a favorite midweek meal that your whole family will love.
Serve it as it is or add rice or noodles and extra spices. Regardless, it’s definitely a meal that will have your kids licking their plates clean!
Apart from you getting the thumbs up from the family for serving this dish, it’s also incredibly quick to make…25 minutes is all you need to get dinner on the table. What else could you ask for?!
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN DIVAN
- If you add any side dish to this complete meal, make sure it is something light like a light and simple salad.
- Looking for a slightly healthier version of this recipe? If so, you can use Greek yogurt instead of mayo.
- If you want to add rice to this dish, mix 1/4 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of water into the soup mixture. Taste test and add extra oven time if the rice isn’t cooked through.
- Some people like adding curry powder to this recipe and if you would like to do so then I recommend that you use 1/4 teaspoon curry powder or more to taste. Add this to the soup mixture before pouring over the chicken.
- It’s not necessary to use all of the breadcrumb mixture to top the casserole.
Creamy Chicken Divan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut broccoli and add to large pot of boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain well.
- In a large bowl combine soup, mayonnaise, onion powder and black pepper.
- Stir in cooked chicken and broccoli until well combined.
- Spread into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top evenly.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs and butter. Spread evenly over cheese .
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
WHAT IS CHICKEN DIVAN?
- Chicken Divan is essentially a chicken casserole with broccoli and cream sauce, however, many people make certain substitutions or additions such as adding rice and extra spices to change up the flavor and texture.
- This casserole was invented in the 1950s by a man who entered the recipe into a contest for a signature dish for the Divan Parisienne Restaurant in the New York Chatham Hotel. It then caught on in the 1960s as a classic American home-cooked dish.
CAN I FREEZE CHICKEN DIVAN?
- Yes, you can! Simply line your baking dish with foil, ensuring to get it up the sides of the dish and prepare your recipe without baking it. Then cover the top with foil and freeze.
- Once frozen solid (which should take approximately 24 hours) you can pop the frozen casserole out of your baking dish, wrap it again in another layer of foil and place back into the freezer until ready to enjoy.
- To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and bake as directed above.
Other Super Easy Casserole Dishes
- 3 cups cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli cut into pieces and cooked
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cups shredded cheese cheddar or your favorite
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or Panko
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
Cut broccoli and add to large pot of boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain well.
In a large bowl combine soup, mayonnaise, onion powder and black pepper.
Stir in cooked chicken and broccoli until well combined.
Spread into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top evenly.
In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs and butter.
Spread evenly over cheese . Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.