I started adding to my collection of homemade spices and seasonings not so long ago and since then, I’ve never looked back. Okay, maybe if I’m super pressed for time but otherwise I now definitely prefer making and cooking with homemade spices and seasonings.
My latest addition to the spice rack is this Homemade Taco Seasoning! Made up mostly of powders and one dried herb, it’s an absolute cinch to make – you just need 5 minutes and a spare spice jar to make a fresh batch of Taco seasoning that you can enjoy in any Mexican-inspired dish.
- Use 2 tablespoons of this homemade taco seasoning for every pound of meat.
- Don’t worry if you bought more powder than what is needed for this homemade taco seasoning – keep them stored in an airtight container like a mason jar as they’ll come in handy for making more of this seasoning or can be used in other seasoning recipes and added to other dishes.
- If you want a hot spicy taco seasoning, simply increase the quantity of chili powder or add some cayenne pepper to the mix.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all ingredients together.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Transfer and store in airtight container of your choice.
WHAT MEALS CAN I ADD THIS HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING TO?
You can include this homemade taco seasoning into any dish that requires a little kick of some spice or heat. It goes without saying that it’s a must for any of your Tex Mex dishes too like casseroles, dips, pizzas and meaty bowls!
Here are some delicious recipes of that make use of taco seasoning:
- Easy Fiesta Taco Pizza
- Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- One Pan Smothered Beef Burrito Skillet
- Crockpot Tex Mex Shredded Pork Bowls
- Cheesy Bean Dip
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Baked Enchilada Pasta
HOW SHOULD I STORE HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING?
- Store your taco seasoning in an airtight container between use and keep it in a cool, dry area of your kitchen or pantry. I like storing mine in shaker-type jars for ease of use.
- When stored correctly, this taco seasoning should last 1-2 years like most other seasonings. I seriously doubt that you’ll be keeping this taco seasoning for that long though since it’s likely to be used frequently.
This Homemade Taco Season is easy to make and tastes WAY better than any store bought seasoning. All you need is 7 classic spices and a jar.
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all ingredients together
Whisk until well combined
Transfer and store in airtight container of your choice