Remain as cool as a cucumber this summer with this super quick and refreshing Creamy Cucumber Salad!
I love using fresh seasonal produce – it not only tastes better in flavor but is also easy on the wallet since it’s usually sourced locally. Add this Creamy Cucumber Salad to your list of easy summer salads for backyard BBQs or as a light side dish to a midweek meal.
- If you don’t enjoy mayonnaise in salad, you can make use of Greek yogurt instead. The yogurt will provide a similar thickness and tang that mayonnaise has.
- For best results, allow your assembled creamy cucumber salad to chill overnight. If you’re in a rush then a minimum of 1 hour will still provide a delicious creamy cucumber salad.
- You can store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Storing cucumbers for a longer period of time will result in them becoming limp and watery.
- Use leftover creamy cucumber salad as a light side salad for other dishes during the week, or as a filler for rolls and sandwiches with some deli meat thrown in.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Clean and slice cucumbers and onion and add to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Pour dressing over cucumber mixture and stir to coat well.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator .
CAN THIS CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
- Definitely! The cucumbers require at least an hour of chilling time to soak up the flavors of the creamy dressing and seasoning so it’s a great salad to make in advance.
- If you do plan on making this in advance, I suggest that you make it no more than a day prior to serving for optimal freshness.
SHOULD I PEEL THE CUCUMBERS FOR THIS SALAD?
Since I use English cucumber for this salad which has thinner skin, it’s not necessary for you to peel your cucumbers. If you are using a different type of cucumber that has a thicker, darker skin with a waxy coating then go ahead and peel them.
It also really depends on your preference of texture from the cucumber skins. There’s no right or wrong here. Just make sure to wash the cucumbers adequately whenever keeping the skin on.
IS THIS CUCUMBER SALAD LOW CARB OR KETO FRIENDLY?
- Cucumbers are low carb and keto friendly but you should also take into account the type of mayonnaise that you use when making the salad dressing. Some store bought mayonnaise brands contain carbs in the form of sugars, especially those branded as “low-fat” for taste purposes.
- Unless you are making your own mayo from scratch and can control the ingredients used, I suggest that you always read the nutritional label of commercial mayonnaise to ensure that it doesn’t compromise your dietary goals.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 English cucumbers sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium red onion sliced (about 1 cups)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Clean and slice cucumbers and onion and add to a large bowl
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy
- Pour dressing over cucumber mixture and stir to coat well
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving
- Store leftovers in refrigerator
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
The Rockstar Mommy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.