I believe that everyone needs a Classic Ham and Pea Salad in their cooking repertoire! It’s one of those salads that’s typically enjoyed by all ages, not to mention that it’s incredibly simple to make.
Allowing your ham and pea salad to chill in the refrigerator ensures that all the flavors of the ranch dressing and seasoning soak into the salad ingredients. It also means that this salad is a great option as a make ahead side dish – perfect for preparing for an upcoming barbecue or celebratory feast like Easter.
- This salad is best served chilled so make sure that you don’t let it sit at room temperature for long prior to plating up.
- Serve your classic ham and pea salad alongside a main dish as a side, at your next backyard barbecue or a picnic.
- Make this salad a day ahead of time and mix it again just prior to serving.
- Thaw your frozen peas in the refrigerator overnight if you intend serving this salad right after making it.
How to Make Classic Ham and Pea Salad
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Serve cold.
CAN I USE CANNED PEAS INSTEAD OF FROZEN?
- I wouldn’t recommend using canned peas since they are much softer compared to using frozen which means that they are likely not to hold up well in salad, especially if you make it a day in advance.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO HAM AND PEA SALAD?
- Add in some hard boiled eggs to your ham and pea salad for an additional boost of protein.
- Use bacon instead of ham or add bacon to the ham as well.
- Add in pre-cooked macaroni pasta to your ham and pea salad. If you do, make sure to increase the ranch dressing as pasta will absorb some of the dressing in the salad.
- Make a layered ham and pea salad by assembling your salad between crispy lettuce leaves. This will look great if you place the layered salad in a clear glass bowl to show off the layers.
HOW SHOULD I STORE CLASSIC HAM AND PEA SALAD?
- Leftover ham and pea salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This Classic Ham and Pea Salad is perfect for preparing for an upcoming barbecue or celebratory feast like Easter.
- 1 12 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- ½ pound cooked ham diced
- 6 to 8 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup ranch salad dressing
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.