Bad name…good cake.
If you’ve never heard of dump cake before, your life is about to change for the better.
A “dump cake” is about the easiest possible cake in the world. All you do is “dump” all your ingredients straight into a greased cake pan and put it in the oven. No sifting, no beating, no mixing – just dump and bake. Even if you’ve never baked a cake before in your life, you can’t mess this up.
Now I’ll admit, the name doesn’t sound all that appetizing. But the cake itself can be fantastic.
Take this Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake, for instance. The ingredients are super simple: canned cherry pie filling, a box of chocolate cake mix, and melted butter. But when you dump them all in a pan together, it bakes up into a rich, moist, chocolatey treat, like a cross between devil’s food cake and cherry cobbler.
Dressed up with some whipped cream, fresh cherries, and red-white-and-blue sprinkles, this makes a super easy, patriotic dessert for a Fourth of July party. Or you can serve it plain, and it’s still delicious.
Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake
1 box Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
3/4 cup butter – melted
Whipped cream, to garnish
Cherries (maraschino or Bing), to garnish
Patriotic sprinkles, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9×13 pan. Dump the 2 cans of cherry pie filling into the bottom of the 9×13 pan. Use a spatula to even the filling out across the pan.
2. Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the cherry pie filling.
3. Drizzle the melted butter all over the chocolate cake mix. Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
4. Garnish with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, cherries and/or sprinkles.
NEVER MISS A ROCKSTAR MOMMY POST! SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVED THE 10 TRAITS OF A ROCKSTAR MOMMY FOR FREE!
Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake
- 2 (21 oz) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 box Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup butter - melted
- Whipped cream , to garnish
- Cherries (maraschino or Bing), to garnish
- Patriotic sprinkles , to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9x13 pan. Dump the 2 cans of cherry pie filling into the bottom of the 9x13 pan. Use a spatula to even the filling out across the pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Drizzle the melted butter all over the chocolate cake mix. Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, cherries and/or sprinkles.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
The Rockstar Mommy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.